Improve your browsing experience on GraysOnline and other websites.
To download the iOS6 update, follow these 3 easy steps:
Don't show this message again
Thursday, July 05, 2012
There's nothing quite as blissful as cuddling up in bed with an electric blanket on a cold winter's night. But should you be concerned about safety?
Buying from a reputable dealer is important, and you can find excellent selections online as well as reviews for added reassurance. If you do decide to buy an electric blanket, make sure you can enjoy it by following these safety tips:
1. Only buy brand-new and modern electric blankets. Many older models have no internal temperature control to shut the blanket off when it gets too hot. GraysOnline has a wide selection of the latest electric blankets.
2. Replace them every 10 years. Most fires started by electric blankets are caused by products over 10 years old.
3. Turn your blanket off when not in use. Not only will this save you money on electricity, you will avoid any potential incidents when not at home.
4. Do not tuck them beneath mattresses – it could result in excessive heat build-up and subsequent damage to your bed, or worse.
5. Replace a blanket that is worn or torn, where the electric cord is frayed or where the temperature control is damaged. It's easy to miss electrical problems, so be sure to inspect your blanket regularly.
6. Do not use electric blankets and heating pads together, as the heat generated could cause burns.
7. Do not pile toys, pillows, blankets or other materials on top of an electric blanket. The items may be flammable and susceptible to catching alight.
8. Unplug your electric blanket if you smell smoke or if any scorching is evident. Discolouration may mean it is burning internally, so keep an eye out for any visual signs of change.
9. Do not dry clean – the chemicals may damage the heating insulation and increase the risk of fire. Also check the blanket's washing instructions to see if it is machine washable.
10. Replace any heating pad or blanket where embedded heating wires have been displaced or damaged. Hold the blanket up to the light – the wires should be evenly spaced and not touch each other anywhere.
There's nothing better than being able to enjoy winter with an electric blanket. However, make certain that you stay aware of the safety issues and ensure that all the proper precautions are taken before and after each use.