Biotechnology for Beginners
1stPublisher: Academic PressFormat: Paperback
Biotechnology is the applied science of using living organisms and their by-products for commercial development. It has grown and evolved to such an extent over the past few years that increasing numbers of professionals work in areas directly impacted by it. For the first time, this book offers an exciting and colorful overview of biotechnology for professionals and students in a wide array of the life sciences including: Genetics, Immunology, Biochemistry, Agronomy, Food Science, and Animal Science. This book also appeals to the lay reader without a scientific background who is interested in an entertaining and informative introduction to the key aspects of biotechnology.Authors Renneberg and Demain discuss the opportunities and risks of individual technologies and provide historical data in easy-to-reference boxes, highlighting key topics. Biotechnology for Beginners covers all major aspects of the field, from food biotechnology to enzymes, genetic engineering, viruses, antibodies, and vaccines, to environmental biotechnology, transgenic animals, analytical biotechnology, and the human genome. This stimulating book is the most user-friendly source for a comprehensive overview of this complex field.
- Accessible to the lay reader without scientific background knowledge
- Coverage includes all facets of biotechnology applications
- Includes articles from the hottest Scientists: Alan Guttmacher, Carl Djerassi, Frances S. Ligler, Jared Diamond, Susan Greenfield, and more
- Each chapter concludes with a summary, annotated references, links to useful Web sites, and appealing review questions
- More than 600 color figures and over 100 illustrations
- Written in an enthusiastic and engaging style unlike other existing theoretical and dry-style biotechnology books
GST Note: GST is included in the price of this item. GST is included in the freight.