Diabetes Survival Guide: Understanding the Facts about Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Publisher: Ballantine BooksFormat: Paperback
“This is a must-read book or all diabetics.”-Derek LeRoith, M.D., chief of endocrinology, Mount Sinai School of Medicine The number of diabetics in the United States has increased 61 percent in the last decade. Now this classic, accessible guide has been completely revised with new information on pre-diabetes and prevention, as well as
- the Metabolic Syndrome: risk factors that, along with genetic predisposition, sow the seeds of diabetes
- diet: sensible, easy—to-follow suggestions about what, when, and how much to eat (and the choices are delicious )
- new drugs: inhaled insulin powder, combination pills, insulin that lasts twenty-four hours, fast-acting “designer” insulin, and other milestones
- cutting-edge equipment: state-of-the-art insulin pumps, glucose monitors, and pen injectors
- complications: innovations for preventing heart disease, kidney failure, neuropathy of the feet and legs, and loss of vision
- stem cell research: the imminent possibility of using stem cells as a source of insulin-producing beta cells
- surgical options: transplantation techniques
If you're a diabetic or care about someone who is, this comprehensive guide and daily companion belongs front and center on your bookshelf and in your life.
GST Note: GST is included in the price of this item. GST is included in the freight.