Same-Sex Marriage: Pro and Con
Publisher: Vintage Books
With same-sex marriage igniting a firestorm of controversy in the press and in the courts, in legislative chambers and in living rooms, Andrew Sullivan, a pioneering voice in the debate, has brought together two thousand years of argument in an anthology of historic inclusiveness and evenhandedness. Among the selections included here:
- The 2003 Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruling in support of same-sex marriage
- Justice Kennedy's majority opinion and Justice Scalia's dissent in the 2003 landmark Supreme Court decision striking down anti-sodomy laws
- President George W. Bush's call for a Federal Marriage Amendment
- John Kerry's Senate speech urging defeat of the Defense of Marriage Act
- Harvard historian Nancy F. Cott's testimony before the Vermont House Judiciary Committee
- Reverend Peter J. Gomes on the distinction between civil and religious marriage
- Stanley Kurtz on the politics of gay marriage
- Evan Wolfson on the popularity of the right to marry among lesbians and gay men
- “New York Times ”op-ed columnist""David Brooks' conservative case for same-sex marriage
- Excerpts from Genesis, Leviticus, and other essential biblical texts
- Aristophanes's classic theory of same-sex love, from Plato's "Symposium
"- Hannah Arendt on marriage as a fundamental right- Camille Paglia's skepticism Representing the full range of perspectives and the most cogent and arresting arguments, Same-Sex Marriage""is essential to a balanced understanding of the most pressing cultural question we face today.
GST Note: GST is included in the price of this item. GST is included in the freight.