TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP & REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
As registration and ownership requirements vary from state to state buyers should familiarise themselves with the registration and transfer requirements of the state in which the vehicle will be registered. As is standard practice the buyer is responsible for state transfer fees, duties etc. that may apply.
In line with requirements in Every State and Territory other than New South Wales, vehicles in these states/territories will be sold unregistered to private buyers. Plates will not be given to the successful buyer and it is their responsibility to obtain an UVP (unregistered vehicle permit) when organising to pick the vehicle up.
We advise purchasers to always check with relevant authorities (REVS, RTA, VIC Roads etc) for any previous vehicle history.
NSW REGISTERED VEHICLES - Before you buy a vehicle, it is your responsibility to check the registration and CTP insurance details of the vehicle via the RTA http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/
or phone the RTA Contact Centre on 132213. You must transfer the registration into your name within 14 days of the vehicle coming into your possession or management.
GRAYS will not be liable for any fines in relation to registration matters and registration may be cancelled if not transferred within 14 days of the invoice date.
Once your invoice is paid, youll need to visit a motor registry with:
- Your GRAYS paid invoice
- Proof of identity, or if youre registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity
- A completed Application for Transfer form
- YOU WILL NOT NEED the old registration paperwork, these will not be given with the vehicle
And you may need to pay:
- Transfer fee
- Stamp duty (unless exempt)
- Additional motor vehicle tax (or national heavy vehicle charges) if you have bought your vehicle from someone receiving an RTA concession (such as a pensioner) and you are not eligible for that concession
- Late transfer surcharge. A surcharge will be applied to customers who fail to transfer the registration within 14 days of the date of acquisition