Chateau Petrus 1982 (1 x 750mL), Pomerol, Bordeaux, France

Description:

Although not rated believed, like all the wines of Pomerol Petrus is the most famous but also the most prestigious of all wines. The legend begins in the late 19th century. The Arnaud family owns the domain, and Petrus already enjoys a fame that never falter thereafter. Edmonde Loubat gradually redeems this family shares the Château Petrus Civil Society from 1925. She became sole owner in 1945. Dynamic and conscious of the exceptional potential of this "small" vineyard (about 6ha - currently 11.5 ha after buying a plot at Château Gazin), it is an ideal complement in 1947 in the person of Jean-Pierre Moueix, Libourne merchant from a family Corrèze.

This duo with outstanding business skills will hoist the field towards the peaks early 1950s known in France but especially recognized abroad, Petrus and adorns Elizabeth II engagement table. In the 1960s, President Kennedy particularly appreciate and indirectly made a reference to the US market.

The soil of Petrus, located on the highest point of the appellation (40 meters) enjoys an excellent situation. The soil, mostly clay, is particularly favorable for the Merlot, which constitutes 96% of the vine of the vineyard. The remaining 4% are planted with Cabernet Franc, most of which is not found in the great wine. The harvest is manual and breeding lasts 20 months (100% new oak).

Petrus: The low acidity makes it a soft wine, which, combined with the voluptuous character of Merlot, develops a wine an incredible concentration. It reveals just majestic, with a power and an incomparable richness, some vintages that can keep more than fifty years.

Country / region / Bordeaux

Appellation / Pomerol

Color /Red

Owner * / SC du Château Petrus

Area * / 11.4 ha

Production * / 36000 bottles

Grape varieties * / 95% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc

Viticulture / Conventional

Catalogue of items for this sale
Description Delivery / Location Closes Price
 
Wine Summary Image

Although not rated believed, like all the wines of Pomerol Petrus is the most famous but also the most prestigious of all wines. The legend begins in the late 19th century. The Arnaud family owns the domain, and Petrus already enjoys a fame that never falter thereafter. Edmonde Loubat gradually redeems this family shares the Château Petrus Civil Society from 1925. She became sole owner in 1945. Dynamic and conscious of the exceptional potential of this "small" vineyard (about 6ha - currently 11.5 ha after buying a plot at Château Gazin), it is an ideal complement in 1947 in the person of Jean-Pierre Moueix, Libourne merchant from a family Corrèze.

This duo with outstanding business skills will hoist the field towards the peaks early 1950s known in France but especially recognized abroad, Petrus and adorns Elizabeth II engagement table. In the 1960s, President Kennedy particularly appreciate and indirectly made a reference to the US market.

The soil of Petrus, located on the highest point of the appellation (40 meters) enjoys an excellent situation. The soil, mostly clay, is particularly favorable for the Merlot, which constitutes 96% of the vine of the vineyard. The remaining 4% are planted with Cabernet Franc, most of which is not found in the great wine. The harvest is manual and breeding lasts 20 months (100% new oak).

Petrus: The low acidity makes it a soft wine, which, combined with the voluptuous character of Merlot, develops a wine an incredible concentration. It reveals just majestic, with a power and an incomparable richness, some vintages that can keep more than fifty years.

Country / region / Bordeaux

Appellation / Pomerol

Color /Red

Owner * / SC du Château Petrus

Area * / 11.4 ha

Production * / 36000 bottles

Grape varieties * / 95% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc

Viticulture / Conventional

Region:
FRA - Bordeaux
State:
Imported
Country:
France

Expert Reviews

98 Points/Drink 2000-2025" - Robert Parker, eRobertParker.com

"From barrel, this remains one of the greatest wines I have ever tasted. Whether fining and filtration pulled more out of it than was intended, only the proprietor knows. However, the 1982 Petrus turned in a strong performance in Philadelphia in contrast to other tastings when it has been less than spectacular. The color reveals some amber at the edge. A sweet nose of caramel, roasted herbs, cherry jam, cedar, and smoke is followed by a thick, full-bodied, unctuously-textured, low acid Petrus that is approaching full maturity.

This was a dazzling showing for this 1982, which has performed irregularly since birth. Although abundant tannin remains, the wine is sweet, smoky, and ideal for drinking now and over the next 20-25 years. A bottle drunk in France in March, 2000, was equally sublime.

Winery Profile

Little known 50 years ago, this château has seen the rise of a myth about the uniqueness of its wine. The wine’s inimatibility is due to many factors, first of all, an exceptional terroir - 40 meters above sea level, the highest point of the appellation - with a layer of heavy clay soil and an iron subsoil. These are ideal conditions for the expression of the Merlot grape. With such a special terroir, the approach in the vineyard and cellar is traditional and respectful.The work done in the vineyard is fastidious - severe pruning in the winter, regular ploughing, crop-thinning, de-leafing, manicuring the clusters in the summer - and allows the perfect ripening of the fruit. The grape are manually harvested within two afternoons and sorted before crush.

Fermentation is carried out gently, without any overextraction, in temperature-controlled concrete tanks. The blend, very often pure Merlot, is defined in December and the young wine is aged in 100% new oak barrels.

This property made famous by Madame Edmond Loubat and then by Monsieur Jean-Pierre Moueix, culminates at 130 feet on the plateau of Pomerol. Ets Jean-Pierre Moueix is responsible for the cultivation, vinification and aging as well as the export distribution of Petrus wines.

Other Information

  • 1982 vintage
  • 1 x 750mL unit
  • FRA - Bordeaux, Imported
  • Cork closure
Liquor Act 2007: It is against the law to sell or supply alcohol to, or to obtain alcohol on behalf of, a person under the age of 18 years. GraysOnline liquor licence LIQP770010049

The GraysOnline Advantage

We’ll despatch your product the next working day! Depending on your location, you can expect delivery anywhere between 2 and 5 working days from payment date.


We will send you an email notifying you as soon as your items have left our warehouse.


In this email, you will find the name of the carrier company and the consignment note number of your item as well as information on tracking the delivery of your item online. Simply follow the link to the relevant website and enter your reference number. You will then be able to quickly and efficiently track the delivery status of your item!


Please Note: Your goods will be delivered to your registered address. We do delivery Australia wide except for a few remote territories, please check the shipping calculator to confirm delivery availability and timeframes.


Click here for details

Loading content...

Sign Up Now

Sign up to receive upcoming auctions & special offers!

Privacy Statement and Consent: By providing your email address, you consent to us sending you our newsletters as well as promotional material, updates and further information about our products and services. Our Privacy Policy contains information about how you can access and correct your personal information, how to make a complaint, and how we deal with complaints.

Subscribe

Follow Us

We Accept

Follow Us

 

NSW Liquor Act 2007 - It is against the law to sell or supply alcohol to or to obtain on behalf of a person under the age of 18 years.
NSW Liquor Licence LIQP770010049
Motor Dealer Licence: NSW MD13910, VIC LMCT11156, SA MVD277714, QLD 1700072, WA MD25136. NSW Motor Vehicle Recycler Licence: M057736
Grays (NSW) Pty Ltd is a credit representative (number 509214) of CarLoans.com.au Pty Ltd (Australian Credit Licence 433137)

Download Our App